Love

Love

Monday, November 9, 2009

In Loving Memory- Sadie Jane Grandfield, 6/28/2006- 11/7/2009






Saturday, November 7th, started out like any other day here at the Grandfield household, except I was busy working early on a bridal shower cake that I needed to deliver later that afternoon. As I walked back and forth in the kitchen Sadie was being her usual sweet self- getting in the way and looking for treats. Terry had to take Chad to a golf tournament where he would be teeing off at 10AM and rather than come home Terry had decided, as it was a beautiful day, to play a round himself. The girls (Bekah and Lisa) were just hanging out and were making plans to do a photo shoot early that afternoon.
I finished the cake around noon, very pleased with how it turned out. The next hour would fly by as I cleaned up the huge mess created while making the cake. When 1pm arrived and all was cleaned up I felt a big sense of accomplishment- I still had an hour and a half before I needed to leave to deliver the cake. The girls had gone outside to do their photo shoot- with Lisa dressed as an indian in her Pocahontas costume from Halloween. I glanced outside my back window and saw them and Sadie in the yard- Sadie doing her normal sniffing, her nose close to the ground, probably picking up the scent of the many rabbits we have around that she loved to chase. Little did I know that would be the last time I would see my pup alive.
Around 1:15 Rebekah came in the door and called out in a scared, trembling voice, "Mom, Mom!" I knew something was horribly wrong and came to meet her in the kitchen where she said, crying "Mom, something is wrong with Sadie!" I ran out to see Lisa sitting at Sadie's side, stroking her fur, tears streaming down her face. I kneeled down next to my doggie daughter and looked and felt for a pulse, but when I saw her eyes I knew she was gone. I kept saying, crying, "No puppy, no you can't leave us. Please no." But it was her time, and as much as I hated it, I couldn't change it and bring her back. In the next hour I called to tell Terry, spoke with Josiah who came home on the train later that afternoon, and then Terry shared the sad news with Amber, who is still in Rome, while I delivered my cake to Norristown. We laid Sadie to rest in a special place in our back yard yesterday morning, complete with a jar of peanut butter, some socks of both Terry's and mine, a favorite blanket, and two notes- one written by me, one written by Lisa-Noel. These all represented some of her favorite things while she was alive. When I got up this morning and saw both my socks were there to put back on it made me cry yet again, realizing my Sadie wouldn't be around to steal them and put holes in them anymore.
Needless to say we are grieving immensely over losing our dog. Sadie brought such joy to everyone she met and she will be missed always. She will never be forgotten.

No comments: