Love

Love

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Advent Reflections

December 7th

“Unless you change and become like little children…” Matthew 18:3

To see Christmas through the eyes of a child brings special joy. I have been blessed many times over through the eyes of my own children, as well as others. However what fascinates a three year old won’t even faze a child of ten. As we age it appears our ability to believe in the things we cannot see changes. The Christmas story is nice, but we’ve heard it so many times it doesn’t touch us anymore. The glitter of the season only represents work- putting it out and taking it all down.
I was recently working on a circular garden in my front yard. I needed to water it and brought my watering can out to do so. As I was literally walking around in circles, I began to get dizzy. In that moment I recalled purposely spinning around as a child, falling to the ground laughing because I was dizzy. It brought a big smile to my face. No need for a rollercoaster, just a simple childhood trick to produce the sensation.
When Jesus says become like a little child He means to become simple in our approach. Instead of rushing through the holidays, let's slow down and see the wonder all around us. Why not go to a shopping area and observe the small children as they experience the sights and sounds of Christmas?
And let's not forget to listen, really listen, to the Christmas story. Its wonder never fades- and may we, like the shepherds, be willing to see God’s glory all around us.

No comments: