Love

Love

Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent Reflections

December 8th

“Blessed are the pure in heart…” Matthew 5:8

After all the negative thoughts I’ve been battling in recent months I certainly can’t claim to be pure in heart! Does that mean I can’t see you God?
Today at bible study we read that we are justified by faith- not by works (good thoughts or bad thoughts) -thank God! I breathe a sigh of relief. This being pure of heart isn’t about me at all. It is about Christ and my relationship to Him. In Isaiah we are reminded that our own righteousness is as filthy rags. That speaks volumes about my ability to achieve purity or holiness on my own.
In Zechariah 3:1-5, the high priest Joshua is brought before God. His garments are filthy. God gives command to have the filthy garments removed and to replace them with pure white ones. There was nothing Joshua did to warrant this exchange. At God’s command, because of God’s grace and mercy, it was done.
As we look for an outfit or some special piece of clothing for the holidays, may we recall that Christ has already given us new garments. What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Whatever your personal struggle or mine, His blood is more than enough to cover it. Wear those new garments proudly, and appreciate with your whole heart God’s great gift through His Son.

No comments: