Love

Love

Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall in all its glory






Yesterday Terry, Rebekah, Sadie and I made a trip to Jim Thorpe, PA to hike and see the fall colors. Jim Thorpe is a small, quaint town in the Poconos. Terry and I had been there to spend a couple days about three years ago in the fall and took a hike on a trail through the woods that we had never forgotten. I wanted to try that hike again, especially because we didn't go the entire route because we had plans to do other things. There is a lake a couple miles further along which we didn't get to see. and I wanted to take a look, especially for photo purposes. The weather being perfect this past weekend, it seemed a great time to go up.
Just the ride into Jim Thorpe was thrilling. What a spectacular view of the fall colors, each bend in the road bringing another example of God's artistry in nature. It reminds me of how even the end of a season can have distinct beauty, one that is meant to touch others lives. As we started down the trail my daughter Rebekah laughed as she remembered a video we have of a visit to Pennsylvania during the fall to Valley Forge, and how I kept saying over and over how gorgeous the leaves were! Having lived in Florida for 13 years, I had truly appreciated and missed the fall here in the northeast. I made sure to use such words of description yesterday- beautiful, gorgeous, spectacular- in keeping with my past example!
When we got to the second part of the trail, the one Terry and I hadn't traveled before, we asked someone on a bicycle how far it was to the lake. He said about a mile- mile and a half. We trudged along, being passed by a hay ride which Bekah was hoping would pick us up and give us a ride. Sadie enjoyed taking a couple dips in the stream along the path. Terry took hold of the camera and took some neat shots of a small waterfall. The path seemed to go on and on, and almost a half hour later we were feeling a bit tired and wondering- are we on the right path? Shouldn't we be there already? How many times in life have I thought the same thing, not knowing where God was taking me, feeling exhausted and confused and scared. But in my heart I knew that the destination would be worth the difficulty of the journey, in fact the difficulty of the journey would make the destination even sweeter. When we finally made it to the lake it was so incredible lovely. And guess what? The trip back seemed lots easier (it was downhill, after all!).
Wanted to share a few of our photos along the way. Enjoy!

No comments: