Love

Love

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Vanishing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



This is another recipe we make at our house, many times throughout the year. My son, Josiah, frequently requests these cookies and actually knows how to throw them together himself, though he prefers to talk me or his sisters into doing it.

The recipe can be found underneath the lid of the Quaker Oatmeal container, though it calls for raisins instead of the chocolate chips. Raisins are not a big hit with my kids, so substituting chocolate makes everyone happy, including myself- I prefer to use the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips, but any kind work well.

These are what I refer to as a "comfort cookie", one you want to sit down with after a tiring day with a glass of milk! The chew of the oatmeal, the slightly bitter edge of the chips..... definitely a nice escape after a crazy day of Christmas shopping.

I also wanted to share with you a photo of the pretty gingerbread house my daughters Bekah and Lisa-Noel made today while I was out shopping. They called me to request I bring home candy and Cinnamon chex to decorate it with- I think they did a fine job, making the gingerbread walls all from scratch.



Vanishing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 12oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips


Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I use parchment paper)

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

No comments: