Love

Love

Friday, December 16, 2011

Raspberry Foldovers


It took longer than normal for me to decide on these cookies to bake today- two other types appealed to me more but I lacked certain ingredients, so I will try those in the future. When I mixed the dough together I did my normal taste test, wrinkling up my nose and thinking- something is definitely missing! That something was sugar (what on earth is a cookie without sugar?) so I added a 1/2 cup sugar to the already combined batter.

The dough, after being refrigerated for a couple hours, was firm but tacky, making it necessary to use lots of flour both underneath and on top as I rolled these cookies out. I used seedless raspberry jam as the recipe called for, but any jam would work well. After baking they certainly didn't look like the photo in the cookbook- the jam had bubbled up through some cracks and once they cooled, well, they were not the prettiest cookies I've ever seen.... but once I tasted them, I knew that could be forgiven.

As my girls said after trying these, "anything with raspberry jam in the middle has to be good!" In this case, I agree wholeheartedly.


Raspberry Foldovers


1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
4oz (half of 8-oz package) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 egg white, beaten
2 teaspoons sugar (I used colored sugar)


In medium bowl, beat flour, butter, cream cheese, sugar and almond extract with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended and crumbly. Press dough into ball; flatten slightly, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour 30 minutes or until firm.
Heat oven to 375°F (if using dark or nonstick cookie sheet, heat oven to 350°F). Divide dough in half (refrigerate half of dough until needed). On lightly floured surface, roll half of dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds. On ungreased cookie sheet, place rounds 1/2 inch apart. Reroll any remaining dough.
Place 1/4 teaspoon of the jam off center on each cookie to within 1/4 inch of edge. Fold cookies in half over jam; press edges firmly with fingers. Seal edges with tines of fork. Brush cookies with egg white. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown and tops are lightly browned. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.

No comments: