Love

Love

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pecan Pie Squares


Only three days of cookies left to bake and share, so I decided to save my traditional favorites for last. I have always loved pecans, and pecan pie, and I recall trying this recipe for my son Dale's eighteenth birthday. It made an impression and I have made this recipe most years since for the holidays.

When I made these today I used a 9x13 pan instead of the jelly roll pan the recipe calls for. I did that only because I do not currently have the larger size, much to my dismay. The bars, as a result, are considerably thicker-but equally delicious. The crust is flaky and buttery, perfect with all the goo of the filling. I would recommend using the jelly roll pan, if you have one, as the bars are easier to handle and cut when thinner.

I think I will have one of these tomorrow morning with my first cup of coffee. Sounds like the perfect way to begin the day..... and nuts are good for you, right?


Pecan Pie Squares

Crust

3 cups unsifted flour
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup softened butter or 3/4 cup margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt

Filling

4 eggs , slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Karo light corn syrup
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
11/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x13 inch pan.
Beat flour, sugar, butter and salt (all crust ingredients) in a large bowl on medium speed until crumbly (will be dry). Press firmly into 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes— the crust should be light to golden brown.

Combine beaten eggs, sugar, light corn syrup, melted butter, vanilla and pecans (all filling ingredients). Pour over baked crust, spreading evenly. Bake until filling is set; approximately 35-40 minutes. Cool completely and cut into bars. Store at room temperature.

No comments: