Love

Love

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Giant Honey and Oat Cookies


Does everyone wonder if I have all my recipes chosen well in advance, baked ahead and ready to post each day? The truth is no- I didn't decide to try this recipe until about 5:30 am today! Typically I am not a procrastinator, but there is something fun about waiting until the last minute, wondering- will this cookie turn out well enough to take a picture of?

Part of my decision to make these oatmeal cookies today was based on the fact I had all the ingredients on hand, a rather important prerequisite to throwing any recipe together successfully. And I love new approaches to old standards- traditional oatmeal cookies being one of my favorites. The size of these cookies is impressive- the recipe says to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to spoon them onto the baking sheet, which I did. I was a bit shy of the 2/3 cup honey so I added corn syrup to make up the difference.

I highly recommend trying this recipe- it is delicious, and one I will add to my favorites for future use. The cookie is not overly sweet but has this delightful honey flavor, it's crispy and chewy at the same time- in other words, perfect! My daughters Rebekah and Lisa-Noel went so far as to say it may be the best cookie they have ever tasted- and that's saying something, considering the amount of baking we do here at our home.

Terry's mouth was watering when I told him how well they turned out...... wish I could send all of you, my readers, a sample!


Giant Honey and Oat Cookies


1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup honey
3 egg whites
4 cups Quick-cooking or old fashioned oatmeal
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet.

Mix sugar, shortening, honey and egg whites in large bowl; stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by level 1/4 cupfuls about 3 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until edges are light brown (centers will be soft).

Cool 3 to 4 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW. THOSE LOOK GOOD!